[ale] Warning - spamed on Bellsouth.net

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Sep 10 08:13:58 EDT 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Jim wrote:

> Spammers don't get all e-mail addresses from the Internet. Many of them now
> use a technique for creating likely e-mail addresses. I get some spam sent to
> my e-mail address and a bunch of similar combinations. As you can see, my
> e-mail address is based on my name and it doesn't take too much logic to
> deduce similar e-mail addresses. So, if your BellSouth e-mail address was
> similarly based on your name, the spammer's software prbably just guessed it.

I can confirm this behavior without a doubt. I have a catch all mail
account for xcorps.net that gets all mail that is sent to non-existent
xcorps.net addresses in case someone has a spelling problem, doesn't have
contact info, etc. One day, about a month ago, I got 943 copies of the
same message, addressed to different recipients. Needless to say, an abuse
report with that much evidence gets escalated quickly.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security