[ale] Sony DSC usb under Linux?

Dana Powers dana at slothlovechunk.org
Mon Sep 9 14:25:38 EDT 2002

I have a Sony DSC-P1 and all I have to do is plug in the usb cable to
my computer, and mount the camera to the filesystem like so:

bash# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera
bash# cd /mnt/camera/
bash# cd ~
bash# umount /mnt/camera

Its that simple as long as the following things are true:

A. You have USB enabled in your kernel. Make sure the following are
loaded, or compiled into your kernel ( I run kernel 2.4.18 ):

usb-storage
usbcore
uhci ( you may need usb-ohci instead depending on your motherboard,
but try usb-uhci first ).

You can run 'lsmod' as root to see which modules are loaded and
'modprobe modulename' to load module.

B. You do not have other SCSI devices. If you do, your camera may show
up as /dev/sdb1 or /dev/sdc1 etc...

C. You have an empty directory called /mnt/camera in your filesystem
tree. Use mkdir '/mnt/camera' to make new directories.

There may be a slightly more automated way of doing this, but this is
fairly simple for me and worked straight out of the box. For more web
information, here is an indepth description of the process :
http://www.raubacapeu.net/people/yves/help/usbdscp1.html

HTH
dpk