[ale] Distributions

Michael Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Sep 9 11:10:46 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 10:08, Fulton Green wrote:
> Which parts of SuSE make it relatively non-open? I know that the only
> downloadable ISOs they have are for their "LiveEval" evaluation CD. Was/is
> YaST closed-source?

I think their installer is.  I'm not sure if that is the same as YaST.

They used to include licensed non-open software on their discs.  I don't
know if they still do.  RedHat used to, too, but infrequently.  For
instance, xv used to come on RH discs.  They took it off once some more
free graphics viewers.

SuSE has done some very good open source work.  XFree comes to
mind--they have put a lot into that.

> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 10:00:27AM -0400, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> >  SuSE does not have as good a reputation for openness as those 3.

--michael