[ale] a new linux solution for multiple problems

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Fri Sep 6 14:28:14 EDT 2002

> I've been contemplating doing a similar arrangement but sound activated.
> Someone in my neighborhood needs to both turn down the volume and get a
> muffler.  I am thinking 2 cameras at either corner of my lot pointed so
> their field of view overlaps should get the from and back (i.e. tag) of
> the offender to my sleep. I'll need low-light-level cameras since it
> usually happens between 1-2am. Grr.

I've got an idea for you.  Modern CCD video cameras - even of the webcam
variety - pick up in the infrared, displaying it as white.  If you can
flood the street with infrared LEDs - and I believe there are some
screw-in lamps with a cluster of hi-brightness LEDs for just this
purpose - then you're good to go.  If your objective is to pick out a
license plate, you don't have to go for a large area - just rig up an
LED IR source spotlight-style with a Fresnel lens or some such.

- Jeff (Spy Kid Wannabe)