[ale] CDRW on Linux

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 5 11:42:36 EDT 2002

Robert Heaven wrote:

> Well, necessity is the mother of man pages. I finally started reading
> the man pages for mkisofs and cdrecord and managed to burn a generic
> copy of my /home/robert/ files. Now all I have to do is figure out all
> the right extensions for these commands. If anyone has a favorite set of
> extensions please post them.

Here's a bash script I use:

---cut here---
#!/bin/bash
modprobe ide-scsi
CDDIR=$1
shift 1
DEV=$1
if [ "$DEV" = "" ] ; then { DEV=0,0,0 } ; fi
shift 1
SPD=$1
if [ "$SPD" = "" ] ; then { SPD=10 } ; fi
shift 1
mkisofs -r -J $CDDIR | cdrecord -v dev=$DEV speed=$SPD $@ -data -
---cut here---

Used thus:

dir2cd /some/directory 0,0,0 8

where /some/directory is the dir I want to iso-ify and burn
to CD, 0,0,0 is the cdrecord-centric device ID of the
CDRW, and 8 is the burn speed.

If the CDRW is device 0,0,0 and the media and drive can
handle speed=10 burns, then

dir2cd /some/directory

will suffice.

Cheers,

-- Joe
  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me