[ale] a new linux solution for multiple problems

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Sep 5 10:22:06 EDT 2002

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 09:26, Geoffrey wrote:
>

>>My mother-in-law can no longer 'sneak' up on me as I see her drive in
>>the driveway. :)
>>

> Worth every cent it takes to set this system up!!
>
> Do you _need_ ssh on an internal LAN?

Probably not, but I just don't install telnet anymore.  I guess that
doesn't make a lot of sense since I am mounting a share, so I've got
portmap running an such.  Similar security concerns regarding that
solution.  I guess I can install telnet.  I've just gotten so used to
doing the ssh thing. :)

> Can you use a dedicated,
> crossover, network line between to camera machine and your viewing
> machine?

That's an interesting possibility.  Although, it's on my internal lan,
two firewall machines away from the dsl connection, so it'd probably be
easier to just do the telnet thing....

Hmmm, I guess I could fire it off from the console, directing it to the
proper display, but I'd plan on running this thing headless.  Serial
console's a possibility though...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net