[ale] Proposal - ALE Bash Tutorial

Andrew Grimmke grimmke at directvinternet.com
Wed Sep 4 17:22:52 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 12:01, David S. Jackson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 03:11:24PM -0400 Andrew Grimmke <grimmke at directvinternet.com> wrote:
> > Hi ALE community,
> >
> > I, like others, I am sure, seek with great eagerness to ascend to the
> > highest realms of shell godhood.  Unfortunately, at this point I reside
> > at the the lowliest level of shell initiate.
>
> I think your idea for a tutorial is good.  But perhaps a classroom
> presentation isn't the best venue unless it's an ongoing class.

I agree. It definitely needs to be ongoing.

> FWIW, I gave a presentation to the NW-Ale group about BASH, but I wasn't able to
> get very far in my presentation.  Still, I prepared the document with
> lots of sample problems and examples.  I'm attaching it.  Hope that
> helps.  It's kind of a digest of stuff I use every day or every week at
> least.

I was there.  I enjoyed the talk very much, But we definitely needed to
get much deeper.  Your write-up was great and was one of my inspirations
for this endeavor.  I would very much like to use some of the problems
(or variations) from your course notes, with your permission, of course.

> I do find that lots of folks have success studying on their own with one
> of the many good shell books and asking questions on the list.  This is
> one of the most tolerant places for asking dumb shell-related questions,
> and with very good answers and creative solutions always managing to be
> drawn out, even from mundane types of problems.  It might be worthwhile
> to scour the archives and extract some of these nuggets into the website
> you're talking about.

Good idea.  Thanks.