[ale] kernel headache

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 1 14:31:21 EDT 2002

You must have init set to 5 in /etc/inittab. This means it will keep trying to
start the X server no matter how many times that errors out. If you have a
Tom's Root/Boot or other disk that will allow you to go in and do some
editing, edit /etc/inittab and set this variable:

id:3:initdefault:

This will start you up at a command prompt. Then try startx and see what
errors you're getting.