[ale] Gentoo: emerge xfree fails

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Sun Sep 1 09:05:29 EDT 2002

Hi all,

  Has anybody running Gentoo seen this?  I checked the Gentoo list, was others who had the problem, but only vague suggestions on how to fix it (of which didn't work for me).

The errors go something like this:

tdfx_content.h:837: storage size of 'Stencil' isn't known
"              838    "       "   " 'Scissor'  "      " <and so forth and so on...>
'Viewport'
'Stipple'
'Glide'
make[5]: *** [tdfx_context.l] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/xfree-4.2.0-r12/work/xc/lib/GL/mesa/src/drv/tdfx'

and the "Error 2"s continue backing up the source tree.

  I do have a Voodoo 3 in this machine, and the first suggestion was load the glide headers.  I "think" I did that, as next I "emerge glide-v3", but I received the same errors again as above on the next "emerge xfree".

  emerge -o xfree shows all deps are already installed.

.config says,
CONFIG_AGP=y
# CONFIG_AGP_INTEL is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_I810 is not set
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD=y
# CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
CONFIG_AGP_ALI=y
# CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
CONFIG_DRM=y
# CONFIG_DRM_OLD is not set
CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y
CONFIG_DRM_TDFX=y
# CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I810 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I830 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_MWAVE is not set

As this is my first shot at a Gentoo install, or compiling XFree, can anyone throw some pointers this way?

  Oh, and ~/.bashrc doesn't run when I log in as root or a normal user (console or ssh).  Any ideas on that? (yes, the shell is bash!)

--
Lost in Tokyo,
  Keith