[ale] localhost name changes when logged into ISP

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Sat Nov 30 21:54:37 EST 2002

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 08:32:48PM -0500, Neal Wilkinson wrote:
> How do I keep my computer name localhost? My hosts file reads 127.0.0.1
> localhost.localdomain localhost I poked around some and found the
> suggestion to also add the line "PEERDNS=no" to my
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 without luck. It still draws a
> host name from my ISP. My /etc/sysconfig/network has the line
> HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain It won't keep the name localhost. How do
> I force it to stay named localhost? Thanks.

My guess is your DHCP client is getting a hostname from the server and
setting it when it gets an IP address.  You can configure it not to do
so, but how you do this depends on the client you are using.  If you
don't know what client you're using, try this:

   ps ax | grep dhc

If you see dhcpcd or dhclient in the output, then we can go from there.
If not, try

  ps ax | grep pump

If that doesn't help, tell us what distro you're using and someone here
can probably guess at the most likely client.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9