[ale] OT: ugh, nasty decision

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Nov 30 20:08:46 EST 2002

I think PS-2 is a preferable choice to the eXcrement Box for technical
reasons, in addition to considerations of avoiding support of a criminal
monopoly.

Coming from a lot of experience with Sony Professional Video products,
I find that Sony's consumer electronics products are better engineered
than a lot of competitors due to the depth of their manufacturing
experience and R&D resources. The PS-2 is a good example, since the
graphics and rendering engines for this consumer gaming product are built
directly on design experience gained from their professional video
products divisions. As early as 1995, I remember Sony offering digital
video effects devices that did high quality, realtime texture mapping of
motion video onto 3D objects; the device really stuck in my head because
it had a real unique 3D control interface that consisted of 2 moveable
concentric radial rings surrounding a tack ball. While they reportedly
only sold a handful of those specialty boxes at a quarter million dollars
a pop, that huge investment in R&D has found its way into a broad range
of other Sony products, including the PS-2. (By comparison, M$ did not
even have a dedicated R&D division before 1998.)

When you combine Sony's superior engineering experience with the PS2's
established base, broader variety of titles and generally more
intelligent choices in game themes, the gaming console choice is obvious.