[ale] OT: computers & ubiquitous work

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 27 12:21:05 EST 2002

I just came across this editorial:

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/11/25/021125opwireless.xml?s=rss&t=wireless&slot=6

about the actual results of the automation and productivity revolution brought
on by computers. It makes for some good reading. I can remember that at my
last job, they tried to make the place a playground--a putting green, a pool
table--in the hope that you would never go home. Now that they have about 40%
fewer employees, they must be really pumping the productivity thing. Anyway,
I wonder what you guys think: Has the revolution in computing and
communications just led your bosses to expect longer hours from you? Was it
really the goal of the computing revolution to turn us into 24 hour drones?