[ale] Are this many errors normal? Mandrake 9.0

Neal Wilkinson nealw at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 26 22:18:51 EST 2002

I've decided that except for games I'm going to try and swap over to Linux.
On installing it I tried everybuddy because I thought that would be a no
brainer. I got a segmentation fault that a lot of users have said is cured
by upgrading to the latest version. I did but during the upgrade it said
that I needed libstdc++so4 (GLIBCPP_3.1) as it was dependant on this to run.
I don't have that with my distro and haven't gone out to get it yet. Anyhow,
the next thing I wanted to do was get familiar with my log files and using
the log viewer that is included (logview) it crashes when trying to open
security.log, user.log and others. A few it will open. These are all things
that I'm sure that I can eventually fix but as to the original question is
this normal? Am I going to have to make a project out of getting
"everything" to work? This is ok as I like tweaking etc. but being Linux
dumb it is a little frustrating. I'm assuming when I do get it all working
that it will be more bullet proof than windows? I also have the misfortune
of having a Turtle Beach Montego II sound card which I gather is a pain to
get going. Anyhow, I'm excited about learning Linux, I've been using and
supporting Windows since it came out and think I'm going to like Linux a lot
better once I get acclimated. Thanks for your comments.

Neal