[ale] Can almost switch

Kent Pirkle kpirkle at kphome.net
Tue Nov 26 16:44:38 EST 2002

I use the same client for work. You have several options:

1) The best option - get the updated vpn client from cisco. Version
3.6.2A I think was the first one to work with Red Hat 8.0 without
changes. There is a 3.7 version out now.

2) Recompiled the kernel with the 2.96 compiler as someone else
suggested.

3) Forceload the module - insmod -f cisco_ipsec... put it in the startup
script. Despite the warnings, it worked fine for me and I used it
without problems until the new version of the client came out.

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 11:10, Bill Hamilton wrote:

<snip>

> VPN Message:
> The module you are trying to load
> (/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.8.0/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec) is compiled with a gcc
> version 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running is compiled with a
> gcc version 3 compiler.  This is known to not work.
>
> I don't want to go back to RedHat 7.3, anyone have any ideas on how I
> might deal with this problem.  My IT shop is not offering up anything
> past Cisco VPN 3.6.1 client software.

<snip>