[ale] Help. Sudden disappearance of Logical drives in Ext. Partition.

Joe Story joestory at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 26 08:48:57 EST 2002

Hey all.  Anyone know if there is a way to
recover from this.  Any info greatly appreciated.  This machine dual
boots Win98 and Slackware 8.  I was in windows and I noticed that my
D: drive (FAT32, Logical drive inside ext partition on IBM 75gig deskstar)
was showing jibberish ie, dfa___dfae!!  (random chars.)  on the label
and in the filenames.  Could not open any folders within that drive. The
error message was something like "could not locate...."  Suddenly after
that my machine locked up. Not surprising.  After rebooting, the EXT.
partition still existed but no drives inside that were there.  I also
noticed that dos's fdisk was only showing that drive as 8gig.

Can anyone tell me what might have happened or give
me some possible ways to ?rebuild? the logical drive so that I can recover
the data there.  I'm mostly curious as to what could have done this.
If I can't recover I will just have to start over on the 15+gigs of mp3's I
had on that drive.

Thanks

Joe-