[ale] Bizarre sound problem... anyone know?

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Tue Nov 26 01:53:31 EST 2002

I just got a new hard drive and Mandrake 9.0.

The problem is: When I play a DVD with Xine (and Alsa 0.9), I get wobbly
sound.  The sound card is a Shark Predator ISA.  Kernel is 2.4.19-16mdk.

Some details:
-- The problem happens only when sound plays while the DVD drive's light is
on.  If I replay a section of a DVD that was just played, there is no sound
problem because the data is cached and not being read from the drive.
-- In fact, I can play a DVD silently and run a separate program that makes
sound, like an MP3 player.  The sound still has problems whenever the DVD
drive's light is on.
-- The problem doesn't happen on Mandrake 8.0, which is what I had on my old
drive, even using the exact same versions of Xine and Alsa (and compiling an
old Alsa on Mandrake 9 is an adventure by itself).  If I swap in my old drive
and boot off of it, sound is fine.
-- Yes, I have DMA enabled for the drive.

I'm completely at a loss here--all I can think of that could cause this is
kernel bugs.  (And there's no way I could find those.)