[ale] Multiple Windows app from a Linux server?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Nov 25 20:19:48 EST 2002

I'm not quite sure I understand what your friend means.

If he's talking about the situation where you do a "network install" (is
that setup -a?) of Word, then all that does is take the stuff form the
Word install CD and perform an installation onto shared filespace such
that desktop client Win machines can install Word from the share as
either standalone or shared, then what he wants is a Linux-based FILE
server. not an APP server.  Samba or NFS can get you there and as far as
the client machines are concerned, it's not all that different from
storing on Win2K.

To run Windows user apps on a Linux server for Windows clients to
operate as though they were running on their own machines takes a lot
more integration.  Fist, you have to get the Win apps running under
Linux (wine, etc) then export those displays via X to X server software
(or equiv) running on the Win client machines.

- Jeff

Under this mode of operation, it's still the client