[ale] Telephone Recording on Linux (Definitely ON topic)

Chuck Huber chuck at cehuber.org
Thu Nov 14 14:19:11 EST 2002

As the owner of a company, I have dealings with the IRS, the
Georgia Department of Revenue, or the Georgia Department of
Labor at least once a quarter.  I have to file payroll taxes,
all the withholding from employees on a monthly basis.

*Almost* all the time, inaccuracies are the result of some
government working keying something in the computer wrong.
Transposed digits, wrong quarter, wrong YEAR, just about
anything goes.  Each one of these errors invariably results
in phone calls.

At present, I'm recording each of these phone calls on casette
tape for a) accuracy, b) transcription, and c) legal evidence.
I'd like to rid thyself of the old analog recording device and
record them into a file on linux.

When I plug the audio transducer (Radio Shack device for
recording telephone conversations to a casette recorder)
into the MIC jack or LINE IN jack on the sound card, all I get
is really annoying noise, which includes but is not limited to
a 60-cycle hum.  Obviously there's an impedence mismatch, or
the unit is expecting a voltage where there isn't one,
or something.  Bottom line - it doesn't work on a sound card.

Does anyone know of a device that will allow me to record
from the telephone to a sound card?

(BTW, All the linux software works fine - GNOME Soundrecorder,
GMIX, ...)

Thanks,
    - Chuck

--
"The purpose of encryption is to protect good people
from bad people, not to protect bad people from the government."