[ale] raid with linux

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Thu Nov 14 07:09:22 EST 2002

   I'm probably jumping in here late as usual. You say the box is
supposed to  just serve out files. Are there any requirements on
read or write speeds? How about hot-swap of disks? Do you
also need auto rebuild in the background in the event of a failed
disk? How about a hot-spare? Are you limited to a current case
or can you buy a new case?
   Based on these answers, I can share with you my experience
with hardware and software RAID under Linux. I don't have
any experience with the 3ware cards, but I've heard some really
great things about them from people I respect.

Jeff

--

Jeff Layton
Senior Engineer

"Is it possible to overclock a cattle prod?" - Irv Mullins

This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this
email in error, please delete it immediately, and inform me of the mistake by
return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of this
email is strictly prohibited. Also, please note that opinions expressed in
this email are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of the
Lockheed-Martin Corporation.