[ale] Accessing Server without Domain Name (Thanks!)

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Nov 12 21:51:23 EST 2002

Belated thanks to Zack, Christopher, Geoffrey, Bill, John and everyone
else who responded to my question. Y'all pointed me to the right places
so I was able to easily configure the Router / Firewall with proper port
forwarding, DMZ setting, fixed MAC address DHCP assignment, etc. I can
now access the Guest server for testing from any web browser and I also
learned what I need to do to set my primary system up for remote access
from work. I have to note, though, that it took me a lot less time to get
the router programmed than it did to read through the response threads my
question generated! ;-)

BTW, the router is a little D-Link 4 port 704P unit that I picked up for
about $100. It configures via a simple http interface, and the manual is
concise and helpful too. Combining that with the great advice made it a
real cake walk!

peace
aaron