[ale] OT (way out there): switching from beer to wine....

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Tue Nov 12 14:56:05 EST 2002

John -

	Although I think many will take it as sacrilege that you'd discuss abandoning beer (which
is full of vitimans and minerals btw and safer than water) for wine but I happen to like wine very
much and can only tolerate a few beers. The focus from the health people seems to be on red
wines which the most famous seems to be the cabernet. This is also one of the harshest and more
difficult to drink until you either develop a taste for it or pay for some really expensive wine - I do
neither.

	When I'm introducing people to wines I like to recommend Shiraz, Pino, and Merlot to get
an idea of what their tastes are. I really like Shiraz. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of domestic
Shiraz or Pino but Australia and South Africa have some very good examples and are surprisingly
affordable. Drinkable just under $10 and get pretty good between $12 and $16. If you want to get
into the french wines then you will have to spend a lot more time learning - therefore a lot more time
drinking! Their designations are based on regions and other factors and take more time to learn.
Also - we have far fewer options in Georgia because of our laws that impose a monopoly on wine
imports into the state to a few major distributors so the french wines available to us tend to be more
expensive. When in france - some very good wine can be less expensive than drinking Coca-Cola!

	If you are in the Atlanta area, I recommend going to the Ansley Wine Merchants. They
have a great variety and are very knowledgable and helpful when trying to discover something new
to your tastes... and they have a pretty good beer selection too - JIC.

	good luck & enjoy!

		Ben Scherrey

PS: When ordering wine at a restaurant - prices are typically double what you would pay at a local
store. This is not a complaint, but rather, a piece of knowledge useful when you find something you
really like eating out - you have a good idea what you can buy it for later on. Wait staff will be
happy to write down the details of the wine for you to find it later.