[ale] [Fwd: Re: [ale] chance to talk with Johnny Isakson('s staff)]

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Tue Nov 12 14:29:36 EST 2002

11/12/2002 9:32:58 AM, Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:

>cfowler wrote:
>
>> Yes this is something I'm curious about.  We have a java position open
>> and I've interviewed many people.  Out of all those people maybe 80%
>> were not American.  This I'm not sure of because I never really asked.
>> I believe that many were Indian, Milddle Eastern, And finally American.
>> Those were the 3 groups that I interviewd.
>
>Were they citizens, or not?  You should always provide the opportunity
>to citizens first, (as long as the skills are there)

	WHY?!?!? You're going to spend the money - why not pick the best person for the job.
Only in abstract math will one ever encounter "all other things being equal" - for me it is always
pretty clear who has the best skills/experience/attitude to perform the job at hand and that is who I
pick regardless of citizenship. You're never ever going to be put in a situation where two people's
qualifications for your position are indistingquishable except the colour of their passport cover! Of
course, the reality is that many companies do this. I guess my perspective is that I hope all my
competition makes decisions based on this kind of flawed reasoning because it will eventually give
me an advantage.

	regards,

		Ben Scherrey