[ale] Bangalore Bill

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Tue Nov 12 10:18:25 EST 2002

Interestingly enough, Bill Gates had an editorial in this Sunday's op-ed
section of the NYT about AIDS in India. He's donating $100 million
through the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation for AIDS education and
prevention there.

The Indian AIDs epidemic is still in a nascent stage, with only about 4%
of the population infected, many of those in high-risk groups such as
soldiers, truck drivers, and whores. Because it's so big, India still
has a larger absolute number of AIDS patients than any country outside
of Africa. The hope is that early-stage intervention may prevent the
kind of mass death which some areas in Africa are seeing.

This morning's NYT had an article chronicaling his movements in India,
where he has visited a clinic or two and explicitly refrained from
talking about software at all.

-- CHS