[ale] [Fwd: Re: [ale] chance to talk with Johnny Isakson('sstaff)]

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Nov 12 08:50:53 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 17:19, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Whoops, forgot to reply all...
> ----
>

> From: Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at attbi.com>
> To: Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey at proteus-tech.com>
> Subject: Re: [ale] chance to talk with Johnny Isakson('s staff)
> Date: 11 Nov 2002 16:51:05 -0500
>
> Benjamin -
>
> I can't imagine how you could have possibly arrived at this conclusion.
> Your "indentured servitude" issue is valid but as an IT worker (still
> unemployed, BTW) who was himself displaced by H-1Bs in a company that
> specialized in farming H=1Bs out to work in US companies, I take strong
> issue with your "bunk" statement.  Companies such as that one are
> certifying to the Government with each visa application that they cannot
> obtain Americans who can code up Web sites in Win2K/IIS/ASP/SQL Server.
> Oh, really??  Har, har, tell me another one!!

Yes this is something I'm curious about.  We have a java position open
and I've interviewed many people.  Out of all those people maybe 80%
were not American.  This I'm not sure of because I never really asked.
I believe that many were Indian, Milddle Eastern, And finally American.
Those were the 3 groups that I interviewd.

The amazing thing I saw was that of all the companies that provided me
resources, these individuals were of Asian descent.  I've come to the
conclusion that maybe Asians have a better understanding of the Java
language because I met some very talented individuals.  I wish I could
use each and every one of the individuals I interviewed.  All seem to
have a good grasp of the concepts I needed implemented in Java.

One group asked me to outsource to India. This is against what I want.
I feel that all jobs should stay in the country.

I sent job descriptions to Ajug and Ale.  Of Course I got many hits from
Ajug but not many from Ale.  I would reccomend diversification.  I
totally agree with it. At one time I was a Aix and SCO administrator and
I knew that to try and guarantee future work I had to branch out and do
much more.