[ale] linux harddrive upgrade utility (similar to MaxBlast, etc)?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Tue Nov 12 07:42:06 EST 2002

I do this all the time

Instll the new HD in the system, say it's /dev/hdb.

Partition hdb  (Pretend 2 partitions, repeat if more)
dd if=/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0
mkswap /dev/hdb2
mkdir /tmp/mnt
mount /dev/hdb1 /tmp/mnt
cd /
find . -mount -print | cpio -pdmu /tmp/mnt

disconnect drive hda
make drive hdb primary
make the original hdb secondary (nice scratch space)

Boot off the floppy
execute lilo to install the boot block

Works great on linux filesystems, usually windows also but I just
re-install windows, it's cleaner.

Thus spake Christopher Bergeron (christopher at bergeron.com):

> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 00:14:40 -0500
> From: Christopher Bergeron <christopher at bergeron.com>
> To: ale at ale.org
> Subject: [ale] linux harddrive upgrade utility (similar to MaxBlast, etc)?
>
> Ok, I'm looking to upgrade my paltry 30GB HD with a big fat one with
> lots of space.
>
> Here's the background info:
>
> a) both drives are Maxtor drives (different models; same manufacturer)
> b) the Maxtor drive(s) shipped with a "utility" disk (MaxBlast) that can
> duplicate the contents of the smaller drive onto the larger drive
>
> My question is this:  has anyone used this utility with a "linux" based
> drive before?  Is it reliable?  Can I use it on a totally separate cpu
> from the linux box itself (my linux box doesn't have a floppy drive).
> If not, is there a linux utility that I can use to dupe my HD onto the
> new one?  I've used partimage (quite a cool program I might add) and dd;
> but I'd like to know if I can use this utility for the sake of simplicity.
>
> Does this utility happen at a lower level than the OS (since it's
> independently bootable)?  and Does anyone have any experience with said
> beast and/or upgrading HDs under linux?
>
> Much thanks in advance for replies...
> -CB
>

> ---
> be sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: FC96D405

DISCLAIMER:
FYI: