[ale] Speaking of SGI...

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Nov 11 15:42:00 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 15:13, Geoffrey wrote:
> James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > Why "one"?
>
> That's all I can afford???

HA!
The base price for the _previous_ origin 3000 was $40k per brick (4 MIPS
processors/4U).

And it did some SERIOUS butt-kicking in the raw number crunching arena.
I have friend who does untellable spooky number crunching for some part
of the feds on a 2 year old Origin system (he didn't have to share with
anyone either!!). He was telling me the absolute best part of the entire
system was no need to hard code the model for a particular memory size.
Just plug in more c-bricks ($$$$$) and more RAM ($$$$$$$$$$$$$). He had
something he did which consumed 600+ Gigs RAM. I can only speculate on
the problem. He tests on a 2000 series deskside with 8 cpu's and 256 G
Ram. I want his JOB!!

It looks like owning Cray for a while was a Good Thing for SGI.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 This is a digitally signed message part