[ale] reiserfs question

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Sat Nov 9 21:58:14 EST 2002

Cory T. Echols wrote:

>On 11/09, David Corbin wrote:
>

>>I've set up a server to be a mail server.  For the first time, and I'm
>>using "maildir" to store mail, and resierfs for improved reliability.
>>

>>(I get hundreds of mail messages a day, and "archive" an awful lot of
>>them), I wanted to ask if resiserfs has any type of limit on the
>>number of files it can handle.
>>

>This isn't really related to your filesystem selection, but you might
>consider using a different format for your mail archives.
>
>If you're not
>accessing them frequently, the benefits of using Maildir are reduced.

I may not access the message frequently, but I certainly access the
folder they're in.  I used "archive" in the sense of "keep for ever",
not in the sense of "compress and hide away in a musty basement." My
decision to  go with Maildir was the result of switching IMAP servers
more than anything else, but I think mailDir makes a lot of sense to me.
 (For the record, I've got 381MB of mail right now)