[ale] OT: BellSouth FastAccess DSL

Larry Grenevitch lg1450 at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 8 22:25:47 EST 2002

For what it is worth.  In my neighborhood Bellsouth 2 or 3 years ago converted
us to fiber so the only provider was Bellsouth.  I had them for dial up years
earlier and dumped them because they were just too slow with my modem
connection.

Recently my job moved me home so I got DSL installed.  I use SuSE Linux and
would have had everything working the first time had I removed all network
cards except the one I was connecting to DSL.  The SuSE support for PPOE
worked flawlessly all I needed from the tech was the IP addresses of the
Bellsouth DNS servers.  I actually have 3 computers on my DSL connection.  My
computer [I know this is a security risk], my kids computer [which can only
go to sites I allow] and my work computer.  So in my computer/router I have 3
network cards.

The Bellsouth tech told me that I needed to make sure I was using maskerading
on my Home PPOE connection otherwise they would kick me off [Bellsouth].
They are aware that people using Linux are out there and on their service.
My impression was they are not sure what to support nor how.

Honestly, I think they would be open to giving the Linux community the ability
to post HOW-TOs for various Linux distributions to connect to their network.

P.S. Since I am on a fiber connection the hightest I have seen in data
transfer is 500kbs and I only had some trouble last week when they were
upgrading the DSL network.

In short, I am happy :)