[ale] OT: BellSouth FastAccess DSL

Dennany, Jerome {D177~Roswell} JEROME.DENNANY at ROCHE.COM
Fri Nov 8 15:08:27 EST 2002

        I used to work for a large (un-named) ISP in tech support.  It's just as likely that the tech "made up" the authentication issue so he wouldn't have to deal with a "Macintosh Call".  The objective is to get the customer off the line as quickly as possible.  Tech support agents are actually ranked by how quickly they can resolve each call.  I've actually seen techs get fired for spending too much time actually fixing the problem instead of 'dumping' the call.

Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert E. Karaffa, II [mailto:rkaraff at emory.edu]
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 2:43 PM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [ale] OT: BellSouth FastAccess DSL

I've been using BS DSL for almost 5 years now.  I'd say that my
uptime/downtime comparo would be 95%/5%.  Recently, I noticed that my Line
Sync light was blinking.  This was on a Friday morning.  By Sunday it hadn't
changed, so I called tech support.  Of course, I couldn't divulge the Linux
box that the DSL modem was feeding...so I said "Macintosh!", just to see if
they cringed.  Without blinking, Brooke the tech said, "okay, we're having
some authentication issues with our servers, give us 24 hrs and if it's not
fixed by then, we'll credit your account for the downtime and send a
technician to fix your problem."  Turned out I had a bad DSL filter
(happened to find it myself, doing my own troubleshooting/binge
swearing/cigar smoking/devil worship...eh, never mind).  So far, I've had
more trouble with ITD at my employer than I've had with BS!  I give BS two
thumbs up.  Good attitude, helpful/responsive/knowledgeable tech support.  I
don't mind paying for my 1.5Mb down/215kb up DSL line (did I say that
right?).  Just wish I had more money and a better golf swing...

-Bob K.

--
Robert E. Karaffa, II
e-mail: rkaraff at emory.edu