[ale] OT: BellSouth FastAccess DSL

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Nov 8 13:21:27 EST 2002

Naturally, this is an off-list reply since I didn't want to start yet
another flamefest on ALE ...

I'm not all that happy about choosing B$, but I'm doing it because back in
March, back when I had DirecTV DSL (ne'e Telocity), which I had previously
been happy with, I had noticed some severe technical difficulties with the
service that wound up making the service barely usable only during late
night (and unusable all other times). I complained to DirecTV, who routed
the request to B$, who found an issue in their line and corrected it. A week
later, I had the same problem, so I complained again, and B$ came out to my
complex and told DirecTV that it was my inside wiring. DirecTV then offered
to add a special "data line" between the complex box and my apt., but that
if that wound up fixing the problem, I'd be out $150. Being barely able to
scrape up food and gas money on an unemployment benefits budget, I punted.

So now, I figure that if I have those same probs, BellSouth will be more
active in trying to fix them while I have their service. I'll see just what
exactly I lose if I don't do the full 12-mo. commitment, then choose a more
amenable (i.e., non-PPPoE-authenticating) provider, or maybe by then my
credit rating will be good enough such that I don't have to pay an extra
deposit for AT&T Comcast.