[ale] Weird: Unable to delete or create files in /tmp.. "CannotUnlink"

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Nov 8 12:22:09 EST 2002

Odds are, the rm command and /tmp have been "tweaked" to prevent you
from being real root. Cinik is not just the only issue. It flags the box
as "accessible" then a root kit gets installed.

Use a boot floppy (Tom's root/boot) that was NOT built on that machine.
Boot with it and dump the /tmp directory and remake it. There are hidden
files in it (/tmp/.cinik and friends)

Use the rpm command:

rpm -Va to check the status of every installed binary. It will output a
string that if it includes a "5", the binary md5 checksum no longer
matches the installation package. It has been corrupted.

And if you happen to catch a cracker, cut off their fingers.