[ale] Weird: Unable to delete or create files in /tmp.. "Cannot Unlink"

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Fri Nov 8 00:08:36 EST 2002

I'm generally not a person who asks questions, prefering to do the
digging myself but, I've dug till I'm blue in the face with no luck.

I have a mandrake 8.1 machine (ext2, 2.4.3-20mdk) that I am unable to
delete files in /tmp from. I cannot create a new file, delete existing
files, or modify existing files. This, as you may well imagine, is
causing significant problems with anything that needs to work from /tmp
(can't lock mailboxes, pop can't lock, php can't handle uploaded files,
and anything else you can think of that would need to write to temp)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-g

p.s. I've included some sample errors and such below to help anyone who
wants to get into detail about it.

 drwxrwxrwt    9 root     root         4096 Oct 26 11:28 ./
drwxr-xr-x   22 root     root         4096 Nov  8 04:04 ../

[root at hartge /tmp]# ls -al /tmp/session_mm.sem
-rwxrwxrwx    1 apache   apache          0 Oct  6 17:56
/tmp/session_mm.sem*

[root at hartge /tmp]# rm /tmp/session_mm.sem -f
rm: cannot unlink `/tmp/session_mm.sem': Permission denied

Notes: I can change permissions and ownership to anything root:root,
rwxrwxrwx, nobody:nobody rwxrwxrwx and I always receive the same error
message.

* Problem started as a result of a cinik.worm attack, has been
(reasonably) cleaned, rebooted, and just to make sure it wasn't a result
of utilities that had been root kitted, I compiled and installed
busybox. I get the same errors with it as I do with the currently
installed "rm"