[ale] Alternatives to Qt - thoughts and opinions

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Fri Nov 8 12:05:48 EST 2002

	I find it interesting that you hear about wxWindows in a negative context. It really is quite
a strong framework/api. It came out long before Qt existed and is ported to as many platforms. The
only negatives about wxWindows are that they don't use templates and they want you to use their
string class rather than std::string (the latter may no longer be a limitation). These came from the fact
that, at wxWindows inception, the STL and standard library was not available nor did many
compilers handle templates very well - although I argued at the time that for all the supported
platforms, there was at least one strong enough compiler to do the job. Other than that, I think that
Qt has a bit better event model but it requires a pre-processor step which wxWindows does not.
Also, Qt really wants you to use their QString class so there's no Qt advantage over wxWindows in
this regard.

	I am a fan of both libraries and don't find any others to be competitive. I have developed
in multiple environments under both, and even have purchased commercial licences for Qt. Both
have excellent python wrappers, however, the PyQt wrapper has gone commercial (at least for
Windows) and will not be available for Mac for some time (if ever). Frankly, I've been a bit
disappointed with some of the things the developer has done and cannot justify sending him money
on top of the Qt license - although I would pay for the wxPython library if they required it (which they
don't). So I'm kinda in the same quandry as you because I'm about to embark on some
development using C++ & python for multiple platforms. Presently I am leaning towards going with
wxWindows but won't make the final decision until I have to. Beyond that - I guess I'm still a bit
disappointed with the architectures of all the GUI class libs out there. They all seem to be
unneccesarily complex in areas they shouldn't be and inflexible in areas they should be (if you catch
my meaning and don't parse too logically). Doubtful I'll ever be satisfied alas...

	good luck,

		Ben Scherrey