[ale] Gtk-Perl

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Nov 7 15:06:06 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 15:42, Eric Anderson wrote:
> I'm writing a stupid little app to keep track of what bills I have due,
> when they are do, how much they are, etc.
>
> Got most of it done, but I have run into a snag that I can't figure out.
> I am writing this in Perl using Gtk+ as the interface. I have a drop
> down menu which I want to grab the value of the selected item and stick
> it in a variable.
>
> So I have a reference to the GtkOptionMenu. So it should be as easy as
> something like this
>
> $dropdown->get_menu()->get_active()->child()->get();

Ouch!

> This will tell it to grab the menu from the GtkOptionMenu object, then
> get the active GtkMenuItem from the GtkMenu, then get the child of
> GtkMenuItem which should be a GtkLabel, then get the text of the label.
>
> The problem is that child() returns undef. So
>
> $dropdown->get_menu()->get_active()
>
> will get me a GtkMenuItem, but I can't get the value from there because
> child() return undef.
>
> Any suggestions?

Crank it out in Java Swing and use XML as your storage for data.
Provide a menu item to export the data as a CSV file.

It will run on any platform.  Sure perl will run on any platform but
GTK+ will only be avliable on those platforms.

Just a suggestion no flames please but I saw that long syntax up there
and was thinking wow! What a mess.