[ale] Redhat patch and DMCA

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Nov 6 14:08:42 EST 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, John Wells wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Fight the power.  Read the notes.  If someone ever decided to bring
> charges against a person for reading those Red Hat notes, it'd be the
> biggest strike against the DMCA yet, and very convincing grounds for
> challenging its foundations in a court of law.  Noone will pursue you,
> because it would force them to acknowledge how silly/sad the DMCA is.  I
> think this was exactly Red Hat's point.

Ok. And how much could this wind up costing me??? I mean above and beyond
the possiblility of jail time. The current DOJ seems quite willing to
stomp hell all over the Constitution as I understand it, and I'm finding
my funds just a little short to pay for lawyering.

Yes, I'm sounding like a cheap, chicken-livered, yellow-belly coward.
Partly because I am.

OTOH, I rather wish it were otherwise - DMCA and other measures need to be
thrown out.

> <rage against the machine background music> F the Establishment </rage
> against the machine background music> ;-p
>
> John
>
> > I was reading through a Infoworld article and they get
> > into a kernel patch that redhat released for some
> > security issue.....but you can't read the release notes
> > because it may be a breach of the DMCA.  So what does
> > one do?  Just patch w/o reading the notes?  Couldn't
> > the descriptiveness of the notes be vague enough to
> > give those wanting to patch their kernels some
> > information.  Here's the site I went to to see the
> > notes but I decided I didn't want to go to jail for 5
> > years and pay a fine of $500,000.
> >
> > http://www.thefreeworld.net/non-US/
> >
> > Michael Smith
> > AIM: MikAtlanta
> > MSN: MikeAshtonSmith
> > email: msmith at mikeandmel.com
> >
> > ---
> > This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list. See
> > http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml for more info. Problems should be
> >  sent to listmaster at ale dot org.
>

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.