[ale] Thoughts on Electronic Voting

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Wed Nov 6 10:44:19 EST 2002

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 10:42 pm, Joseph A Knapka wrote:
> Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>
> [a lot of thought-proviking stuff, which I snipped in order to get
> to:]
>
> > Inasmuch as I know that it would be possible to design and deploy
> > electronic voting systems with a high level of integrity, their
> > inherent complexity makes auditability by reasonable means
> > impossible.
>
> Difficult, perhaps. Not impossible. It would be up to the implementor
> to produce auditable code, not a mess of spaghetti. Of course,
> crypto code should be obviously correct, not obfuscated (the
> adage about security through obscurity applies).

I was thinking about this in the shower this morning, and here is a
scheme I would trust a lot more.  Unfortunately, I can't imagine it
being adopted.

The basic trick is to have two companies build electronic voting system
with a shared format for recording the vote on a smart card.  You vote
on a machine from company A which records your choices on the smart
card.  Then you insert the card in company B's machine and check that
your choices are correct on that machine, too.  After you confirm your
vote on B's machine your vote is permanently cast and the smart card is
wiped.

The vote is tallied twice--once on each machine.  If the two tallies do
not agree, then something is wrong.  If they do agree, then you can be
reasonably clear that unless the two companies colluded (and there
would have to be strict separation of the two companies) the vote is
correct.

--Michael