[ale] Re: Vote Today - Message from Marie

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Nov 5 17:12:54 EST 2002

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 03:55 pm, Dow Hurst wrote:
> Just found out from my boss that yes, KSU CSIS Dept. was the
> architects of the system.  I know the chair, Merle King, and he is a
> dedicated honest person.  I have a lot of respect for him since he
> has treated me well here at KSU.  I'll ask and see if the code is
> available or could be made available.  I was quite surprised to hear
> about KSU's involvement since there is a lot of reputation on the
> line.

It's nice to know that someone did look at the code.  But I betcha they
didn't look at the OS and GUI system code, only at the application
code.  What if some rabid democrat was working at MS and inserted some
nice obfucated code that said in essence "When there are some radio
butons, 5% of the time give a click on any button with a text string
containing 'Republican' to the button with a text string containing
'Democrat'. "  How can we know this has not happened?  To have trusted
electronic voting it is necessary, but not sufficient, to have open
code.

--Michael