[ale] [Fwd: Re: Vote Today - Message from Marie

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 5 10:47:05 EST 2002

> What I think might be worth persuing is asking for the source code to the
> ballot systems (not WinCE) under the Open records act.  Anyone have experience
> in this area?  Any thoughts?  I'm really annoyed about the lack of a paper
> ballot (heard one woman on the radio state that she mistakenly hit the wrong
> candidate, and at the review screen couldn't change her vote.

It was the one major flaw that I saw in the system this morning because it's
not obvious at all. At the review screen you choose the vote to change. Then
you have to UNSELECT your current vote by pressing on the currently selected
vote. Then you can choose another selection.  It took me a couple of minutes
to figure out that unselecting was required.  The obvious way is to have
selecting another vote automatically unselect the current vote, like a radio
button.

>  The poll worker
> messed with it and "accidentally" submitted her incorrect vote.), and the lack
> of auditability (is that a word?) for the code that runs the voting system.

Ooops!

BAJ