[ale] Back to the Future!

Alan Bowman aminus at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 30 11:30:51 EST 2002

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, John Mills wrote:

>installation package for FreeBSD-4.0. SO .. I decided to try it.
>
>Installation is a nostalgia blast (I had forgotten the fun of Slackware
>2.*!), but it seems to go OK - network DHCP, mouse, and X11 seem to go in
>OK. When I exit, however, I don't seem to have left a bootable kernel or
>proper MBR in place.

John,
 I've gotten this on my FreeBSD installs if I didn't specify the correct
disk geometry.  I've found that the values reported when I go into the
fdisk part of the install do not always match the actual geometry of my
HDD (cyls/hd/sectors).

 As for FreeBSD docs, go to the FreeBSD homepage <www.freebsd.org> and
follow the links on the left for Documentation.  I've always found the
Handbook quite useful.  More useful is _The Complete FreeBSD_ 3rd
Edition by Greg Lehey. I've seen it recently at the two Border's Books
I frequent here in Atlanta. I own 5 FreeBSD books, this is the one I
refer to the most.

...alan

--
"Ubi non accusator, ibi non judex."
(Where there is no police, there is no speed limit.)