[ale] RedHat 7.2 WOL

ChangingLINKS.com ChangingLINKS.com at bigfoot.com
Thu Mar 28 15:10:01 EST 2002

I tried everything that I could with the BIOS settings on the computer and
still could not get Wake On Lan to work.

1. I tried changing 4 seconds power button = suspend (instead of Soft -> off)
2. I enabled Wake on Lan
3. I "user defined" power management to 20 minutes
4. Suspend to Ram Capability enabled
5. HDD power down = 15 minutes

Is  the network card light supposed to be on?
Is the hub light connected to the LAN card supposed to be on too?
How would I "shutdown" RedHat 7.2 in this situation (for Wake On Lan)?
How do I get the computer to be in "ACPI D3-warm state"  from RedHat?

On Thursday 28 March 2002 06:51, you wrote:
> ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > environment: I have an Asus A7Pro motherboard, Realtek 8139 Lan card with
> > WOL connector cable attached to motherboard, and RedHat 7.2. I guess that
> > my power supply is sufficient because the LED light in the case (on the
> > motherboard) stays lit.
> >
> > I have downloaded and compiled ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/diag/ether-wake.c
> > and also tried
> > ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/network/misc/wakelan-1.1.tar.gz
> >
> > I cannot get my computer to start using Wake On Lan. It is my
> > understanding that the LAN card light is supposed to be on when I halt
> > the computer. Is that right? There is no light on the LAN card (and the
> > LED on the hub is also off) when I use shutdown -h now or poweroff. Does
> > anyone know how  to get wake-on-lan working with Linux?
>
> You're right, there is no light on the LAN card when you shutdown and
> poweroff.
>
> You have to suspend the machine using APM, instead of shutting it down.
> I'd suggest using standby mode.  Be sure APM and WOL is enabled in your
> system's BIOS.
>
>  From the ether-wake help page:
> 	This program generates and transmits a Wake-On-LAN (WOL) "Magic Packet",
> 	used for restarting machines that have been soft-powered-down
> 	(ACPI D3-warm state).

Drew
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com