[ale] WAY WAY WAY OT: anybody recommend a good anime?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Tue Mar 26 15:03:47 EST 2002

This one is more along the lines of children's fare, but MY NEIGHBOR
TOTORO was very well-received by my then-six-year-old daughter and was
an interesting watch for us adults as well.  It breaks so far from the
Disney-like conventions of nearly all American-made children's fare that
you'll be quite surprised.  Anything else by TOTORO's director Hayao
Miyazaki, including GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (which I have not seen but
may be a better first choice for you) are supposedly among the best of
the genre.

Please don't mistake me for a connossieur; I'm not.  My daughter often
has bouts of interest in the SAILOR MOON series, which is occasionally
on Cartoon Network, and it is really only through that that I got any
info on anime at all.  I found that although SM is kind of ridiculous,
it has aspects that make it rather watchable by adults; the same cannot
be said of, oh, Scooby Doo.

Another title that I am aware of is HARMAGAEDON, of which I know only
because some of the music was done by my favorite keyboardist, Keith
Emerson.