[ale] Java applets in Galeon/Mozilla

Kevin Krumwiede krum at smyrnacable.net
Sat Mar 23 22:27:38 EST 2002

When I first encountered a page with Java applets, Galeon asked me if I
wanted to install the plugin.  I said yes and it opened a page on
netscape.com with Javascript buttons that don't work.  (Javascript
enabled is checked.)  So I tried to install a plugin by hand.  I
downloaded JDK 1.3 (1.4 is flaky IMO) and then:

# cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
# ln -s
/usr/local/java/jdk1.3.1_2/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so

And created symlinks in /usr/local/bin to all the binaries in
/usr/local/java/jdk1.3.1_2/bin.

Now when I load a page with applets, they just show up as gray boxes
that say "Loading Java applet..."

Any clues?