[ale] OT: How fast is your connection, and how much do you pay?

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Fri Mar 22 10:50:06 EST 2002

Impossible.  DSL speed is very dependant on many factors:

1) Distance from your CO

2) Quality of implementation of your ISP

3) Quality of all wiring between your phone jack and the CO

It is entirely possible for your neighbor to have 150K downloads, and you to only have 50K downloads.

Finding out your neighbors speeds will give you an *idea*, but it is no guarantee.

> I figure a survey might help us all. I am particularly
> interested in knowing how fast the BellSouth connection is
> (although I really don't want to use that PPPOE I like how
> the AT&T connection works right after install).

We have had really good luck with Bellsouth for the last two years.  We were one of the first to get it in our area, and for the first 3 or 4 months it was horrible, but once they got the problems worked out, it has really been pretty good.  Their tech support is pretty much worthless even if you are using winbloze (assuming you have half a brain and more than 6 months of computer experience) - don't even mention Linux to them, or their head explodes.

One word of warning...

We tried to switch to atlnet for the last year, and Bellsouth simply wouldn't cooperate.  We tried to get *new* service through atlnet on a separate line - still no dice.  If I had the time and money, I'd have sued their ass, but they got more of both...

> What is your  "average" speed (that shows on the browser) ?

Consistent 120K-150K downloads - subject, of course, to normal internet latency and availability issues.

> About how much do you pay per month?

@ $80/mo

Charles