[ale] Ok, I'm really hosed now.

Michael Barker mbarker68 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 20 11:44:56 EST 2002

Kevin Krumwiede wrote:

> When you boot from the Mandrake rescue CD, can you still see your partitions
> with fdisk?  Do you know/remember what all your partitions are and where
> they are supposed to be mounted?  If so, you should be able to recover
> everything using LILO.

Yes I can see everything with fdisk...

> Mount the partitions containing kernel images
> somewhere (doesn't matter where) and create a lilo.conf file that specifies
> the partitions you want to boot and the kernels *named as they are mounted
> on your rescue system*.  Then use lilo -c yourlilo.conf (I think that's the
> switch) to set up a new bootloader.

When I boot rescue it mounts my system under /mnt.  Whenever I run lilo
I always chroot /mnt first.  Is this not the same thing?  If it is, that
has not worked.

> This will get you back into Mandrake.  As for fixing the MBR on your Windows
> drive... I am not certain, but I think it always contains exactly the same
> thing, i.e., someone with the same version of Windows you're using could dd
> their MBR to a file and send it to you... anyone know for sure?
>
> Krum

Again the windows install can be sacrificed, it has no important data
and I rarely use it.  I only need it now because my cable provider has
not written their utility interfaces cross browser compatible and I need
to use IE.

Below is my lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=linux
	root=/dev/hdc1
	append=" hdd=ide-scsi devfs=mount quiet"
	vga=788
	read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=linux-nonfb
	root=/dev/hdc1
	append=" hdd=ide-scsi devfs=mount"
	read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=failsafe
	root=/dev/hdc1
	append=" hdd=ide-scsi devfs=mount failsafe"
	read-only
other=/dev/fd0
	label=floppy
	unsafe