[ale] Ok, I'm really hosed now.

Kevin Krumwiede krum at smyrnacable.net
Wed Mar 20 10:52:31 EST 2002

I haven't really followed this thread but I hope I can help out.

When you boot from the Mandrake rescue CD, can you still see your partitions
with fdisk?  Do you know/remember what all your partitions are and where
they are supposed to be mounted?  If so, you should be able to recover
everything using LILO.  Mount the partitions containing kernel images
somewhere (doesn't matter where) and create a lilo.conf file that specifies
the partitions you want to boot and the kernels *named as they are mounted
on your rescue system*.  Then use lilo -c yourlilo.conf (I think that's the
switch) to set up a new bootloader.

This will get you back into Mandrake.  As for fixing the MBR on your Windows
drive... I am not certain, but I think it always contains exactly the same
thing, i.e., someone with the same version of Windows you're using could dd
their MBR to a file and send it to you... anyone know for sure?

Krum