[ale] moving filesystems/resizing partitions

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Mar 20 04:17:32 EST 2002

I have a machine that dual boots Win2k and Redhat.    Win2k occupies the
first partition, as show in the following fdisk output:

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1       607   4875696    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2           608      1215   4883760    f  Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5           608       613     48163+  83  Linux
/dev/hda6           614      1149   4305388+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7          1150      1215    530113+  82  Linux swap

hda5 and hda6 are both ext3 partitions.  I'd like to remove hda1 (the NTFS
partition) and resize my linux parititions to take advantage of that space.

I was going to use gnuparted to handle this task, but the documentation
states that "For ext2: the start of the partition must stay fixed.".  Since
ext3=ext2 in most functionality, I'm assuming this applies to ext3 as well.
It also makes sense that moving the starting point of a partition is
probably a bad idea, without taking further steps.

Is there a relatively easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks for your help.

John