[ale] From Latticesemi

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Mar 19 07:14:44 EST 2002

Chances are, the internal modem is a Winmodem. It has very little chance
of actually working under Linux. Winmodems are not real modems. They use
a driver program in Windows to basically create a streaming midi file
from the digital data that should be going to a digital to analog
converter on a real modem. Winmodems are popular because they are cheap!
I've seen them for as little as $20.

The best solution is to buy a real modem. External modems cost more, but
they can be reset without rebooting the entire machine. If you look for
an internal one, look for a modem that will work with DOS or WindowsNT.
Neither of thos OSs support winmodems.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>