[ale] Installing RH 7.2 on an Epox 8KHA+ - Problems

Jeff Layton laytonjb at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 17 11:09:14 EST 2002

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Jeff Layton wrote:
>
> >Good morning,
> >
> >   I just put together a new system with an Epox 8KHA+,
> >AMD XP 1800+, S3 Savage 2000 64 Meg, WD 200BB,
> >and an old NEC MultiSync 5FGp monitor. I tried installing
> >RH 7.2 using the graphical mode and it always pukes.
> >Sometimes, I get a good error message:
> >
> >Traceback (innermost last):
> >   File "/usr/lib/anaconda", line 477 in ?
> >      from splashscreen import splashScreenShow
> >   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/splashscreen.py", line 24 in ?
> >      from gtk import *
> >   SyntaxError: can't assign to operator (line 2318)
> >
> >Othertimes, I get,
> >
> >Probling for Monitor Type: Unable to Probe
> >X server started successfully
> >install exited abnormally
> >
> >(X came up with that silly gray background for about
> >5 seconds and then drops back to the framebuffer mode).
> >   I used this exact same monitor (and keyboard and mouse
> >for that matter) to install RH 7.2 on a PIII/500, Stealth III/540,
> >IBM 30 Gig HD (75 GXP I think).
> >   Textmode for RH 7.2 also pukes, but at various points
> >during the install. I also tried RH 7.1 and the graphical install
> >dies everytime just as RH 7.2 does. Text mode in RH 7.1
> >gets a little farther, but will also die (but in random spots).
> >   Does anyone have any ideas? I've built a few systems
> >(about 10+) and installed RH more times than I can remember
> >and this is the first time I've ever had any problems. Did I
> >build the box badly? Do I have a short perhaps? Is there
> >something weird about the KT266A chipset? The Athlon?
> >
> >TIA,
> >
> >Jeff Layton
> >
> Jeff -
>
> A brand-new machine that fails in varying spots when installing an OS
> suggests the possibility of a thermal problem.  Are you 100% certain the
> CPU is properly heatsinked?
>
> The last time this happened to me, whoever built the machine had left
> the protective backing paper on the thermal tape on the underside of the
> heatsink.  Removed all that, replaced the then-damaged tape with a small
> bit of thermal goop, and the machine ran normally.

The CPU is Monarch and it came with no tape or anything on it.
I cleaned it with iospropyl achohol and used Acrtic Silver II on
the CPU and the heatsink (ThermalRight SK-6 which had no tape
on it - and I cleaned it with iso alcohol). I applied everything the way the
ThermalRight website said to (at least I think I did). Everything seemed
to go together just fine.

I'm assuming that nothing's wrong here. I turned on the box and let it
sit for about an hour of so to check the CPU temperature with the BIOS
and it stabilized at about 40 deg. C.

Could it be something with the graphics card not being set correctly?

Thanks!

Jeff