[ale] Linux and Laptops.

Randy Janinda rjaninda at tqlabs.com
Sat Mar 16 11:50:03 EST 2002

Here's my config:

Dell Inspiron 8100. PIII 1.0 GHZ, 512MB Ram, 20GB HDD. 24x modular
CDROM, builtin 16XCDRW/DVD. Builtin Nic/Modem. Sound, IR, firewire,
etc.

The good: excellent Linux support. I have zero problems getting any of
the features installed and running (save the modem). Nvidia graphics
card for games on the go.

The bad: 7.5-8 pounds. Nvidia drivers are closed source. The modem is
a winmodem with no hope of support.\

A little pricey ($2400) for the configuration I have but it is definitely my
desktop replacement.

Oh, and I use Ogle to view DVD's. And the distro of choice was RH, but
is now Gentoo.

Randy

--
Randy Janinda