[ale] To IDE RAID or not to RAID...

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Sat Mar 16 01:22:05 EST 2002

I'm looking to set up a large, protected (ie, some level of RAID) storage
space and after waiting around for some nonexistent deals on SCSI drives, I'm
kinda decided to try the IDE route.

I'm currently looking at either Adaptec's 2400A (four-channel, RAID5-capable)
or Promise's SX6000 (six-channel, RAID5).  Has anyone ever used these cards
under linux?  They're listed in the Linux Hardware FAQ as being supported,
but there's not a lot of detail on what facilities of these boards are
supported.

I'm also interested in personal experience with ATA-based raid configurations
in general.  Does it work well for mostly home-use, or is it a total waste of
time?  Speed isn't a prime concern; large, well-protected space is.

Also, note that I am trying to avoid software-based raid configurations (ie,
letting the kernel do it).

Eric